Friday, May 22, 2009

Viewer Discretion is Advised

Yesterday I was invited to Bryce's classroom for their Spring Showcase.  The students were excited to show off their big project for the year~  From start to finished they learned about the life cycle of a chickens.  Bryce would come home telling about every process that was taking place in his classroom.  The eggs were put in incubators and watched until they finally hatched. Did you know it takes just 21 days?  The day the chicks hatched happen to be the same day his teacher was trying to do some testing for the end of the year.  As soon as one student noticed the chicks hatching, all the students rushed the cage, leaving the testing scores inconclusive. "Oh
 well", she said.  I don't think she would have gotten them to sit there if she tried...after all 21 days to a 2nd grader seems like forever I am sure.  

6 chicks we born, the multi colored one with it's back facing you happens to be Bryce's favorite! Bryce states he hatched from a brown egg and is the "ugly duckling" of the bunch.  Except I think he is adorable.  Bryce felt such a connection to this chick he even named him Josh. I was telling Brandon about Bryce's chick Josh and we remembered Bryce stating one time that he had wanted his name to be Josh.  So I guess he came to the reality that this was never going to happen, so he lived his fantasy through his new furry little friend.  

JOSH~ is the one with the dark brown strip down his back



Bryce wanted me to show you the life cycle of a chick...so here goes!



WARNING!
WARNING!


SCROLL @ YOUR OWN RISK!





6 comments:

The Halls said...

We hacthed chickens in 4th grade and then did a drawing to see who got to keep the chickens after they hatched. I won a little black one. I kept it in a box in the basement until it was full sized and then we gave it to a neighbor that had a chicked coop.

Are you guys still coming out in June?

Ann said...

Holy Crap! I think I prefer the cute fluffy chick at the very end.

Anonymous said...

Nathan wanted to get tadpoles and watch them turn into frogs.....know where to find those?

Andrea Shaw said...

That second and third picture look eerily familiar to a few eggs I've cracked open from the grocery store. Yum yum! Elch!

ladybugs and lace said...

Jake's class just did the same thing! He now says he doesn't want to eat eggs anymore. lOL!

Ilene said...

OK thats kinda sad, those pictures look like they were taken of eggs already cracked open whick means those little chick didn't make it!OH and tell Fisher 6 there are thousands of tad poles in the ditch at Afton's old Florida home! They are driving me crazy everynight. (too noisy)